What is the difference between Sherwin Williams SuperPaint, Duration, and Emerald interior paint?
By Mike Plummer
We hear this question a lot while giving estimates, and it’s a good one! Choosing the right color and sheen can be a daunting task for some, and having to select a type of paint only makes it worse. Luckily, all of Sherwin Williams’ paint products are high-quality, but there are some differences between them.
Heritage Custom Painting uses Sherwin-Williams’ top three interior products: Emerald, Duration, and SuperPaint. All three of these are high quality products, but they each fit a different kind of customer. Let’s take a deep dive into the best uses for each product and help you find the best option for your interior painting needs.
- Sherwin Williams Color of the Year 2023 Announced
- Premium Paint vs Cheap Paint – The Things You Need To Know
Emerald Interior Acrylic Latex
- This is Sherwin-Williams’ premier interior paint product that offers stunning color, prevents stains from penetrating, resists water streaking, built-in stain blocking technology, antimicrobial agents that inhibit the growth of mold and mildew, and exceptional washability and scrub ability.
- Emerald fully cures to a harder and tighter film than Duration & SuperPaint, which protects the overall integrity of the paint long term. Emerald also makes cleaning simpler because its tighter finish prevents dust, dirt, and debris from settling into the surface.
- This is the more expensive option, but it is also the longest-lasting. You can expect 10-12 years from this product. Heritage Custom Painting provides a 3-year warranty for projects that choose Emerald.
Duration Interior Acrylic Latex
- This was the premier painting product on the market until Sherwin-Williams introduced Emerald in 2012. Duration provides outstanding coverage and favorable washability.
- Unlike Emerald, Duration fully cures with a softer and thicker film. This dynamic creates a more flexible product that is better suited for environments that fluctuate in temperature.
- There is one downside, though. Your surfaces are more susceptible to dirt, dust, and debris settling into the painted surface because of the softer film. If these surfaces are not cleaned frequently, then eventually your paint will break down.
- Duration is the middle of the road in terms of price, and you can expect 8-10 years from this product.
- Heritage Custom Painting provides a 3-year warranty for projects that choose Duration.
SuperPaint Interior Acrylic Latex
- SuperPaint offers durability, scrub ability, and applies fast and easy to interior surfaces.
- This is the most cost-effective option, and you can expect 4-6 years from this product.
- Heritage Custom Painting provides a 1-year warranty for projects that choose SuperPaint.
That’s everything you need to know about the paint products we use in quick order. To learn more about us and our values, check out the six C’s of Heritage Custom Painting.
If you’re ready to move forward with a project, fill out our form for a free estimate from Heritage Custom Painting.