What is the difference between Sherwin-Williams Super Paint, Duration, or Emerald interior paint?
By Mike Plummer
This is an excellent question and one that is asked frequently during my consultations with prospective customers. I know choosing the color & sheen can be a daunting task for some and now you’re telling me I have to choose the type of paint I want for my Interior project?
During my time in the field, I have found the answer to this question can be easier to answer than you might think. Heritage Custom Painting uses Sherwin-Williams’ top three Interior products: Emerald, Duration, and SuperPaint to paint your house. Let’s take a deep dive into the best uses for each product to help you find the best option for your Interior painting needs:
Emerald Interior Acrylic Latex
- Emerald is Sherwin-Williams’ premier interior paint product that offers stunning color, prevents stains from penetrating, resists water streaking, built-in stain blocking technology, antimicrobial agents that inhibit the growth of mold and mildew, and exceptional washability and scrub ability.
- Emerald fully cures to a harder and tighter film than Duration & SuperPaint, which protects the overall integrity of the paint long term, as well as assists in the cleaning process as the tighter finish prevents dust, dirt, and debris from settling into the surface.
- Emerald is the more costly alternative, and you can expect 10-12 years from this product. Heritage Custom Painting provides a 3-year warranty for projects that choose Emerald.
Duration Interior Acrylic Latex
- Duration was the premier painting product on the market until Sherwin-Williams introduced Emerald in 2012. Duration provides outstanding coverage, favorable washability.
- Unlike Emerald, Duration fully cures with a softer and thicker film. This dynamic creates a more flexible product that is better suited for environments that experience fluctuations in temperature. The downside to the softer film arises as your surfaces will be more susceptible to dirt, dust, and debris settling into the painted surface. If these surfaces are not cleaned frequently, then eventually your paint will break down.
- Duration is the middle of the road in terms of price, and you can expect 8-10 years from this product.
- Heritage Custom Painting provides a 3-year warranty for projects that choose Duration.
SuperPaint Interior Acrylic Latex
- SuperPaint offers durability, scrub ability, and applies fast and easy to interior surfaces.
- SuperPaint is the most cost-effective option, and you can expect 4-6 years from this product.
- Heritage Custom Painting provides a 1-year warranty for projects that choose SuperPaint.