Which Exterior paint is best for me?
By Mike Plummer
At Heritage Custom Painting, we utilize Sherwin-Williams’ top three Exterior products: Emerald, Duration, and SuperPaint. If you are to do a simple Google search on which paint option is the best for your exterior project, you may find many conflicting accounts for which paint option takes the title of “Best Exterior Paint Product”.
The simple truth is that each option has its benefits and it’s Heritage’s objective to align those benefits with your painting goals. Let’s take a look at Sherwin-Williams’ top three exterior products to see which is the best one for your project:
Emerald Exterior Acrylic Latex
- Emerald is Sherwin-Williams’ finest paint with best-in-class overall performance. This product features an exclusive cross-linking Acrylic technology that provides exceptional coverage, flexibility, washabillity, durability and hide. Emerald provides a mildew-resistant coating, as well as extreme resistance to blistering, peeling, fading, and dirt.
- The flexible coating provides exceptional protection to wood as it swells and contracts though temperature and humidity changes.
- Emerald is tinted with zero VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) ColorCast Eco Toners for outstanding color accuracy and vibrancy.
- Emerald is the top product on the market, and you can expect 10-12 years from this product.
- This option is typically recommended for individuals seeking a long-term solution for their exterior painting needs.
- Heritage Custom Painting provides a 3-year warranty for projects that choose Emerald.
Duration Exterior Acrylic Latex
- Duration has a high film build and provides a thick, flexible layer which results in excellent hide and protection from blistering, cracking, and peeling.
- The flexible coating provides excellent protection to wood as it swells and contracts though temperature and humidity changes.
- Duration is an excellent alternative that is priced slightly below Emerald, and you can expect 8-10 years from this product.
- This option is a great choice for individuals that are seeking a quality and durable product, without paying top dollar.
- Heritage Custom Painting provides a 3-year warranty for projects that choose Duration.
SuperPaint Exterior Acrylic Latex
- SuperPaint is formulated with Advanced Resin Technology that provides great adhesion and hide.
- Amongst the three options, SuperPaint contains the least amount of Volume Solids, which results in a thinner film. As a result, you can expect 5-6 years from this product.
- This option is typically recommended to individuals who are seeking a short-term painting solution for their exterior needs. If prospective customers are seeking to “paint-to-sell”, then they are prime candidates for SuperPaint.
- Heritage Custom Painting provides a 1-year warranty for projects that choose SuperPaint.
If you’re looking for information on interior paints, you can learn more about them here.