Aluminum Siding Pros and Cons
Aluminum is a popular siding choice because of its uniform look and durability. If you’re considering aluminum siding for your home, there are several factors that you should take into account before making a final decision. It’s important to weigh both the pros and cons before making a commitment.
One of the major benefits of aluminum siding is its durability. Unlike other types of siding, aluminum is resistant to weathering and corrosion, which means that it can last for many years without showing signs of wear and tear. Aluminum is also relatively low-maintenance, which means that it won’t require as much upkeep as other types of siding.
However, there are also some potential drawbacks to using aluminum siding. For one, it can be more expensive than other types of siding, and aluminum siding can be more difficult to install. The factory finish on aluminum siding is prone to oxidization, which can leave a chalky residue on the surface.
Pros of Aluminum Siding
Aluminum siding is a durable, low-maintenance, fire-resistant, and energy-efficient option for homeowners. Its durability allows it to withstand harsh weather and resist pest damage with little to no maintenance. Aluminum siding also provides great insulation, which can reduce energy bills. Aluminum siding is expensive, but the long-term benefits make it a worthwhile investment for homeowners who want a high-quality siding material that can last for many years.
- Durability: Aluminum is a highly durable material that is also fireproof and less prone to pest damage.
- Low Maintenance: Aluminum siding does not require as much upkeep as other siding materials.
- Energy Efficient: Aluminum siding can help keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, reducing your energy bills.
Cons of Aluminum Siding
While aluminum siding has many benefits, it also has its fair share of problems. It can show wear and tear over time, which usually appears in the form of dents and scratches. Aluminum siding is also expensive and more difficult to install than other siding options. Aluminum siding also makes a lot of noise during rain and hailstorms, so that’s something to consider. Aluminum siding can also block cellphone signals, which means you might not get great service in your home.
- Dents: Aluminum siding is prone to dents and scratches, which can detract from its appearance.
- Fading: Over time, aluminum siding may fade or discolor, particularly if it’s exposed to direct sunlight.
- Expensive: Aluminum siding is a costly option and it is harder to install.
- Noise: Aluminum siding can be noisy during rain or hailstorms, which some homeowners find bothersome.
- Poor cellular coverage: Aluminum siding can actually block cellular signals, meaning you will get worse coverage in your home.
Pros and Cons of Painting Aluminum Siding
If you’re considering painting your aluminum siding, there are several things to consider. While aluminum siding is durable and low-maintenance, it can also be prone to fading and chalking over time. Additionally, painting your aluminum siding can help protect it from the elements and extend its lifespan, but it also requires careful preparation.
- Improved Appearance: Painting your aluminum siding can give it a fresh, updated look.
- Protection: Painting can help protect your aluminum siding from the elements and prevent corrosion.
- Cost-effective: Painting your aluminum siding is often more cost-effective than replacing it entirely.
- Chalking: The paint will oxidize over time, leading to a chalky texture on the surface. You will have to power wash on occasion to stop this from accumulating. The risk of this is minimized if you use premium paint.
If you’re ready to paint your home exterior, have Heritage Custom Painting come out for a free estimate. Our knowledgeable staff can provide a detailed and accurate quote showing you the price difference between multiple products. We also have color consulting services that will help you find the right color for your home. Fill out the form below today and fall in love with your home again!